1. Prepare chicken tikka by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl. Allow the chicken to stand in the marinade for 8 hrs.
2. Place the marinade chicken in a pan and cook until the water dries up and the surface is well browned. Smoke the chicken at this stage if desired (highly recommended).
For preparing the masala:
1. Heat oil in a vessel. Add chopped onions and cook until pink.
2. Add chopped tomatoes and all the spices.
3. Let this cook until the tomatoes deform and oil separates from the gravy.
4. Add the chicken tikka to this masala and set aside.
For layering the biryani:
1. In a big heavy bottomed vessel, put 1/4 cup water (This is the sure shot trick to keep your biryani rice from sticking to the bottom of the vessel.)
2. Pour half of the partially cooked rice in the vessel and put the chicken tikka masala over the rice.
3. Sprinkle chopped coriander and mint leaves over the chicken masala.
4. Pour the remaining rice into the vessel.
5. Its time to seal your vessel with a lid and aluminum foil or dough, to avoid the steam from escaping the vessel.
6. Place the vessel on high flame for 5mins.
7. Lower the flame to minimum and cook rice ensemble for 15 min.
8. Turn off the flame. Do not open the vessel at this stage. Allow the flavors and aromas to amalgamate.
9. Open the lid and mix the rice and the masala thoroughly. 10. Serve hot with curd raita or green chutney.